Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Reports To: Director of Technical Operations
FLSA Code: Exempt Position
Pay Rate: DOE
Shift Requirement: Day shift and must have availability to work on the weekend’s as necessary to meet the demands of this position.
Develops manufacturing processes by designing, building, testing, and inspecting mechanical devices and systems, such as machines, tools, and engines.
To perform this position successfully, the individual must be able to complete all areas outlined for this position in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to meet the minimum job requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (Master’s preferred)
- Must have experience in tooling design, mechanical design or test equipment design using Solidworks and CNC Machine.
- Preferred experience includes:
- Experience integrating mechanical designs into production or test environments.
- Experience with processing of composite structures or elastomerics.
- 3 plus years of direct related experience preferred.
- Experience in Systems Engineering a plus.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of blueprints reading and Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) and associated tolerancing.
- Excellent math skills: ability to apply advanced mathematical principles and statistics to solve problems.
- Firm grasp of engineering concepts, and experience designing mechanical systems and products.
- Exceptional technical and problem-solving skills and reasoning ability.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly.
- Must be self-motivated and a great team worker.
- Quality focus
- Strong interpersonal skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops designs for tooling, test equipment and machinery related to both production and developmental products. Includes development of specifications, design criteria and drawings. Proficiency in Solidworks is a requirement.
- Works with vendors to produce tooling and associated hardware. Integrates hardware into production & research/development cycles.
- Develops design and integrates machinery and material processing equipment to support prototyping and production efforts.
- Work with customers and technical personnel to ensure requirements are met in production. Sets up prototype equipment and uses experimental materials to test theories/designs developed.
- Discusses progress and interim findings at monthly technical review meetings. Continues with project in original concept, or modifies direction based on commentary and decision of technical review committee.
- Performs specialized programming, design, or analysis of tasks under indirect supervision.
- Follows detailed instructions as to working plans and methods.
- Knowledgeable of applicable concepts, principles, and procedures in task area.
- Supports preparation of research and analysis reports.
- Plans, conducts, technically directs, and evaluates projects or tasks, requiring coordination of the efforts of engineers and technical support staff.
- Prepares product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides engineering information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations.
- Responsible for formulation of the opinions, decisions, and ultimate performance of the task specified in the statement of work contained in the task order.
- Clearly demonstrate the capability for providing in-depth, professional review of the various sophisticated computer/electronics related problems that are encompassed by the scope of the contract.
- Shall be competent in providing top-level assessment reviews involving the resolution of complex problems.
- Applies engineering experience to perform functions such as systems integration, configuration management, quality assurance, testing and analysis.
- Must be capable of independently performing high-level assessment and review functions for problems called out in the individual delivery orders and shall be required to provide definitive written and oral results/recommendations for tests that have been conducted.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- BODY POSITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for prolonged periods of time. There are also occasions when the employee will be required to sit.
- BODY MOVEMENTS: The employee must have a full range of body movements including use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, computer equipment and peripherals, and the ability to bend, reach, and crouch.
- BODY SENSES: Must have command of all five senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. These vision requirements in each area must be sufficient to shift in focus from equipment to close small parts.
- STRENGTH: Must have the ability to lift 30-40 pounds.
- This position will be working indoors in an office environment but also requires the employee to work in production areas on a regular basis. From this movement, the employee will encounter varying temperatures, lighting conditions, and air quality from one area to the next.
- The noise level in the work environment is at acceptable levels but can be higher from time to time in some areas.